Fundamentals of Qualitative Research - March 2021
This course will benefit people who have limited or no experience in conducting qualitative research.
This course provides an overview of qualitative research. Specifically, on successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognise when conducting qualitative research is appropriate
- Understand the logistics involved in running a qualitative project
- Describe the differences between the main types of qualitative data collection: namely focus groups, in-depth interviews, observation, online qual etc
- Understand the role of the moderator/ interviewer and how to create the right environment for respondents
- Learn different approaches to eliciting unbiased responses
- Learn different tools for handling challenging situations during interviews
- Understand why getting below the surface of respondent behaviour is important
- Understand the process of analysis and report writing for qualitative research.
Day 1: 18 March 9am - 1pm
An introduction to Qualitative research
- What is qualitative research?
- Why conduct qualitative research?
When to use Qualitative research and overview of the different qualitative methods
- Strengths and weaknesses of qualitative and quantitative research. When is each appropriate?
- Qual design considerations in thinking about data collection options available.
The basics of Qualitative moderation
- The role of the discussion guide, basics of moderating groups and depth interviews.
- Group dynamics and avoiding bias in qualitative situations.
Day 2: 19 March 9am - 1pm
Projective techniques in Qualitative Research
When to use stimulus. Projective techniques – how to use and not abuse, practical uses of projective techniques in qualitative projects.
Analysis of qualitative information and report writing
Putting it all together – interpretation – presentation and practical examples of how to draw conclusions from qualitative data.
An introduction to professional standards and the Research Society Code of Professional Behaviour
A constant fascination for what makes people tick led to a Masters in Social Behaviour at LSE, including Consumer Psychology and Psychology of Advertising, where I first encountered qualitative research. Later pursued this interest further, training in psychotherapy.
Over 27 years research experience, spanning UK and Australia, with a few side trips along the way!
National and international expertise across a wide range of categories and markets, working for some of the leading research agencies in Sydney and London. Still called on when leading global agencies need extra resource for large blue chip clients
Breadth of experience covers the full range of categories including FMCG, Services and Social, with audiences from kids and teens through to bankers and CEO’s
Anna is a Strategy Director and Head of Cultural Insights at the Lab Insight and Strategy in Sydney. With over 20 years experience in insights consulting, her career kicked off as a Planner in Shanghai before moving into the bosom of qual research in China (Added Value) the US (Millward Brown) and the UK. She then moved back to Australia, finding her feet at GalKal, where she stayed for 7 years before setting up her own agency Neo Insight and Strategy. It was here she ran large scale strategic projects for Nike Global, Westpac, Nestle, BOC and Sherwin Williams and consulted regularly on everything from brand visioning to business model redevelopment for the Centre for Inclusive Design
Anna has a breadth of experience in leading large scale strategic qualitative projects both locally and internationally. Her area of expertise is consumer segmentation, brand strategy, semiotics and ethnography. She is a passionate cultural insight advocate, believing that surfacing the invisible cultural narratives that shape what we think and do can ignite great leaps for brands.
Anna speaks fluent mandarin and is a certified Meditation and Mindfulness teacher.
If you are not a member and want to take up this great offer, please email us your interest and queries to firstname.lastname@example.org *Membership Deal applies to new members who have never had previous membership.
18th Mar 21 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
19th Mar 21 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
NSW | ACT | VIC | TAS: 9am - 1pm
SA: 8.30am - 12.30pm
NT: 7.30am - 11.30pm
5-10 min before start time
your device online
Member Price: AU $ 250.00
Non-member Price: AU $ 750
Your Price: AU $ 750.00
Registrations Open: 19th Jan 21 12:00 AM
Registrations Close: 18th Mar 21 11:59 PM